Tuesday, June 4, 2013

See the Light with fun art lessons

It is such a blessing to combine any subject with solid Biblical teaching; it is even a bigger blessing to receive the product as a review.

That said, See the Light has been a huge blessing to Cameron over the past weeks. He is finding a voice in art and hearing a good message from the teachers on the DVD God's Special Surprise.
The DVD is part of the Bible Stories series from See the Light and retails for $14.95. With over 4 hours of content including 3 complete art lessons, music video and story, this DVD packed with a solid message of God's Hope for his people contains more than just art lessons. The lessons are designed for ages 6 and up. My 7 year old struggles with writing skills a bit and isn't a huge art fan so I really selected the program for my 10 year old and this is a story he enjoys and it fits into our history lessons on Ancient Civilizations. 

I started out by previewing the DVD and pulling  the art supplies I had on hand. Thankfully all I needed to purchase were the Extreme Colors colored pencils. Since I love anything Crayola I picked up the twistable crayons in the extreme colors as well and a set of cake watercolors to have extra.

When we got started with the viewing and were heading into the third lesson I realized we did not have a single ruler in the house (just a yardstick which wasn't much help), so I put our art lessons on pause to go into town and pick up one missing element.   Cameron's favorite lesson from the DVD was the creative lettering lesson "SURPRISE!" . Not only did he get to practice writing in all capital letters, he was able to pause the DVD when he needed to and really worked hard to put together a page of chiseled letters and a fun stone carving of his name. We are working on creating a "carving" of house rules to go along with our history lesson and things we have learned in these wonderful art lessons.
The boys even want to put a black light in their bedroom so they can hang cool art of the walls and see it in the dark, I love black light so I guess I will be purchasing a couple extra black light bulbs for their clip light.
I also decided to experiment a bit with the boys and art outside. We also purchased a large selection of sidewalk chalk to try sidewalk chalk art using some of the lessons learned with the DVD. It was a lot of fun (wish I remembered to take pictures)   They enjoyed trying some of the techniques from the Hope for a Nation lesson.  By the end of the series of lessons even Nathan showed interest in what we created. Sometimes I just have to let him come to us when we are doing our lessons. Cameron has already asked about doing more See the Light art lessons (guess I know what will be on his wishlist for birthday and Christmas).
Be sure to check out the rest of the Crew and their thoughts on this amazing program!

Photobucket


 

No comments:

Post a Comment