Sunday, September 14, 2008

BFS:Oh What a Feeling



Assignment: Take time this week to write about YOU and your feelings of trials and triumphs with homeschooling.  Touch on when you first heard about the concept of home schooling and whether you tip-toed into the idea or just jumped in and never looked back.  Share your schooling as a child and how you compare it to what your goals are for your children.

So I guess , better late than never , this was actually the first BFS assignment but I was so busy that week I completely forgot about it.. We are new to homeschooling but the idea of homeschool is not foriegn to me, I was always fascinated by the idea growing up as I was oftne bored at school, when I had children I just assumed they would attend the public school or if I was able to I would send them to private school. Since I am a Stay At Home Mom now and funds are tight I decided that I would homeschool rather than try to skimp more and afford Private School.  I like many moms am not happy with the direction our public school system is taking and want my children to get a Christ Centered education rather than a Anit Christian education. Some of my friends and family told me to try and work with the current PS system to fix it rather than "running away" from it. I hate to say it I am not running from it I am turning to Christ for my children. I would rather fight a fight that I know Christ is there to help me win and I don't feel we can win in the public school system in our current society. I pray some day the public will return to our roots, but for now my job is here at home. As far as struggles go, I think they are minor and given to Christ they can be over come. First, finding balance in school and homemaking. I would rather spend the time with my children learning then worrying about the home, but since we live here I need to find the balance between the two worlds. Second, money and budgeting in school; I'm sure this is a struggle for many families currently. I am creative enough that I can use supplies we have at home for crafts and our lapbooks, etc.. it is just curriculm, luckily I've been able to find used and free online stuff. Lastily , this is a biggy, support from Family. I think as a woman I will probably always be looking for the approval of my parents and for some reason I feel the need to have the in-laws approval , but I am slowly realizing the college classes I took (although I don't have my bachelor's degree) will help me on the journey ahead and who is better qualified to teach my children but me.

I am planning ahead and as long as I can be homeschooling my children. We have co-op's, play groups and organizations around us on in the virtual world that support the family and homeschool ideals so I have every intention of homeschooling for the next 12-15 years (my baby just turned 3).

I didn't realize this was going to be this long. If you are still reading feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment