Thursday, May 5, 2011

Consistent things

I realized the other day that nothing is really consistant in our homeschool. We are always tweaking things to hopefully improve them. I decided to find some of the consistant things and focus on those this week.

1. A plan, I always start the week with some kind of plan. We don't always stick to it, but we start somewhere. Currently I am using Scholaric for lesson planning.I can plan for each of the boys separately and I can print their weekly plan by subject or by days.

2. Unit Studies, I try to have a unit study going for our main lesson combining history, science, Bible, geography, and reading. Right now we are focusing on the Civil War.

3. Math, we working on Math 3 -4 days a week. This week we are back into our Math-U-See books. The boys each have their own blocks. Nathan is using our mixed set of Math-U-See blocks in a Green box while Cameron has a set of Morteson blocks we were given. The colors match across both sets which is a blessing.

Cameron's blocks inside a Playmobile carrying case. The Ziploc bag has a set of color matched crayons and a pencil.










Nathan's block box inside a Steralite container with his 
tactile numbers cards and a Ziploc bag of color matched crayons.
The cards I made were inspired by Montessori sandpaper letters and numbers.
I used green, blue, and red glitter glue to make a set of numbers to match the place values on Decimal Street. They serve as a reminder when he forgets how to write a number, he can find the number, trace it with his finger and then write it. 


4. Computer time is a reward. I let the boys play Webkinz, Webkinz jr, or Lego.com games as a reward for finishing their school work. Cameron's new favorite game is Star Wars on Lego.com.


Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment