Monday, August 8, 2011

Blacklisted from the PTA , a hysterically funny book reviewed

I have not laughed so hard in a long time. This book is a wonderful collection of short essays that looks at Motherhood in a real honest light. This isn't for the faint of heart as the author is honest and doesn’t mince words. She really tells it like it is.

I could so relate to her stories of child birth, early childhood, toddler years, and the married life. She talks frankly about “date night” as well as open communication with your children. Like I said this book isn’t for the faint of heart.   Lela Davidson writes with a style only a mother could really possess. She is blatantly honest about her feelings and her view of motherhood.  All the stages are covered in her essays; from birth , terrible twos, the tooth fairy and Easter bunny, the extra curricula activities and all the various activities  moms get volunteered for and how not to get that job again.  As a homeschool mom I can’t get out of most of the jobs related to “school functions” but I understand the struggles she talks about in the book. I have had my own Mommy meltdowns and yes even in front of my children, although like the author I try to keep the meltdowns to my own space away from the kids.  I have seen my fair share of crazy art projects for school related activities and am glad that I am a crafty mom. If the kids want a costume for Halloween, we make it or up-cycle it; if they want a castle for their knights and dragons we build it out of corks, popsicle sticks and Elmer’s Glue; if they want a new game well then we create it using whatever we have around the house including markers, glitter glue, foam board, or whatever else we happen to find; and if they want to play sports well then the backyard isn’t perfectly manicured but it is a huge open space to kick the soccer ball. We live in the country so I don’t get to experience the cul-de-sac envy issues, but do have neighbor kids that end up in the backyard playing games and always hungry.  Lela Davidson does such a wonderful job sharing her experiences with the reader that I feel relieved knowing I’m not the perfect PTA mom, I’m actually about as polar opposite as they come and I’m ok with that.

This book is a must read for Moms, soon to be Moms, Grandmas, and even Aunties that want to catch a glimpse of the joys of motherhood with an honest look… It isn’t all fun and games, pretty pictures, and cakes, it can be real ugly some days, but honestly it is one of the best jobs on the planet and I wouldn’t give up my Motherhood job for the world.












I received an electronic copy of this book as part of a social shopper insight study for  Collective Bias,  although compensation received the opinions in this review are my own personal opinions, this post contains affiliated links where I may received a percentage of purchases made. 


No comments:

Post a Comment