Monday, May 14, 2012

5 days of Lesson Planning: A Year Ahead

This is the time of year we start planning for next year. For us, we homeschool year round, but I tend to really start planning ahead in early May so I know what to look for at curriculum sales.
Several years ago I saw a you tube video where a homeschooler used a large piece of paper folded just right to plan goals for the year.
I am taking a modified approach to that I would love to share Planning a Year Ahead.

I started with a large sheet of paper (16x24 approximately). I folded it length wise four times and then into thirds to create 12 boxes. I labeled each box with the months of the school year starting with June.

DSCN2895

Once all the boxes are labeled I start adding in the plans for each month in pencil.


DSCN2896

I list math goals (4 lessons in the month of June), our history/geography theme, and reading plan (summer reading program)

DSCN2897

For July I listed the 2 History based units we will focus on along with an idea for a month of Math review and our summer reading program.

DSCN2898

For August I have some fun crafts and activities planned so I listed those in their subjects.

I am continuing to fill in the chart for the coming year as we finish up this year and reflect on what has worked and not worked.  I am writing everything in pencil and using  post-it notes for thoughts and curriculum questions I have ahead.

The next step is to break down the units.Watch for tomorrow’s post about lesson planning and unit studies.

 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment