Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Growing up wild, homeschooling with the Wild boys

Are 4 boys growing up in Papua Indonesia really that different than home-schooled boys everywhere else? That was the question I asked my boys before we started watching growing up wild .
We received 2 volumes (1 and 4) to show the boys. Our DVD player quit working shortly after the DVDs arrived but thankfully the computer with a great sound system has a working DVD drive, so we set to watching Volume 1 right off. I think the boys watched the first episode half a dozen times before they moved on to the other 2 episodes. They enjoyed the first DVD and activities so much that we ended up taking Volume 4 to Auntie's house one evening so the boys could continue the adventures instead of watching cable (Auntie has cable so it is something special).
I'm not sure what exactly caught my boys' attention the most, but I do know that all of the sudden they started thinking outside the box a little bit as far as creating more hands on outside activities  I'd like to think their eagerness to help outside was fueled by this series, even if it is simple things like yard work.
I also think these stories helped them see that makes trips into town everyday is silly , sometimes we can wait  and combine trips and even wait a little longer to get something (even when longer is just 3 days.)
A simple little thing I love is how Mom gives the lesson  and activity ideas so that this Mom doesn't have to , the boys are eager to go along with doing the activities since the come from someone else.
The Wild family are missionaries, something I haven't studied with my boys a lot yet. We have talked about various countries and heard some stories, it just hasn't been a huge focus for us until now. Thankfully, the timing couldn't have been better. Heading into the Holiday season where I tend to hear too much "I want" from my two guys, I pray this has shed a little light on the idea that "I want" doesn't have to be material possessions.
 Aside from the amazing stories and activities, the Wilds also have a blog , which added just that much more depth to our study. My boys were able to see that everyone of God's children no matter where they are, are all a reflection of God's Love.
The details, each DVD comes with a CD copy of the activities and retails for $18.99 plus shipping, there are 5 DVDs in the series, you can also purchase the whole series for $80.99 for a 15% savings.  If you are looking for a fun way to introduce cultures, missionary work, and a connection to all God's children , I can't say enough about this series other than the fact that I am working into our budget to purchase volumes 2,3, and 5 for my boys'.
This is the perfect time of year to introduce the Wild family to your family. The even have a Facebook page
where fans as well as the family share.
The boys and I love this series, but you really don't have to take my word for it, check out the SchoolHouse Review Crew's thoughts.
Photobucket

disclaimer: As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew I received the above mentioned product in exchange for my review and honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment