Friday, June 6, 2008

First Day Sucesses and Weakness

Tuesday was the first day of the summer school.
I learned a few things from the first day of school.
1. Circle Time doesn't have to be in a circle. I didn't have a circle rug but substituted our Paddington Bear rug.
2. 2 age levels at the same table is more challenging than I thought. C is 5 1/2 and just finished his first year of Preschool . N is 2 1/2 and wants to learn but is still so young. Balancing C's needs for attention anSo Todad structure and N's need for exploring and attention is Mommy's personal learning challenge.
3. Tying the story to the activity is more important to C than I thought. I misplaced our first storybook and had to really work to tie the activities of the day into the story without having it in hand. "Sir Small and the Dragonfly" is our story this week, we have read it several times over the past several weeks so we know the story, but without it in our hands it was a little harder than I thought it would be.
4. C may not like to sing or perform but music is a BIG part of our educational process. I don't need a clock as long as I have a mulit track fun CD. We found a great Christian Kid's Sing along. We had our clean up/ get ready song, followed by our sing and praise time song, then our play time music, we picked a song to bring us back to our activity time. Music is going to be a centerpiece to our program whatever it is.


Today we attended a Used Curriculum sale in town and found a "family" environment that impressed me, even though I only knew a couple people everyone was friendly and welcoming. We are new to the homeschool idea and everyone was so willing to share and offer advise.

Tomorrow we are back on schedule for our morning school day. Then off to Grandma's house for family pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment