Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I is for Independent Learning

I is for Independent Learning or at least that is what I hope for. Right now the boys are young enough that there really isn't a lot of independent learning except for Nathan and his experiments in the kitchen sink (He loves to mix soap, water, and what ever else he can think of to see what will happen, so far it has all ended in a sloppy soapy mess...)  We are currently working on our Civil War unit so there isn't much in the way of independent learning, there is however lots of fun coloring, cut & paste, and copywork/ vocabulary..
I have tried to make math lessons a 1 day thing with an independent review worksheet lasting 2 or 3 days.  We are working on math facts (addition) and fractions (had to explain and practice them to go along with our music lessons).

I am working toward more independent work by using the workbox folders (instead of boxes) so Cameron can see what he needs to do and if he knows how to do it he can simply do it without Mommy and Daddy fussy over him.  He does really well with word search puzzles and math facts worksheets. He is getting better at working on his own with copywork and creative writing.

Nathan is still young enough that it is almost all working with Mommy or Daddy, although he really wants to think and actually insists that he can do it by himself... His little mind is about a grade maybe more ahead of his fine motor skills needed to do school work. However, he has found that if Daddy tells him how to fix something in the shop and maybe shows him once he has it all figured out. He actually helped rebuild the starter on the lawnmower last week just so he could drive it around the backyard.










1 comment:

  1. Stopping by on my way through the A-Z challenge. We homeschool too. College looms on the horizon and I find myself facing a new phase of my life. My oldest, twin boys, turned 18 today. My youngest is 15.

    ReplyDelete