Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Life Math in #homeschool and #Safeway

 
Normally I post all coupon related posts over on Unvlmom's Spot, but since C made the purchases and did the math I decided to share it here.


Yes, learning Math is part of life, especially when it involves coupons and food the boys love as a treat.

So how did he do it?  We headed to Safeway to pick up the Big Cup of Noodles (they were on sale last week 2/ $1.00) and the Chef Boyardee ($.99 each if you bought 3). Cameron saw the Jarritos soda on sale for $.99 plus deposit and was super excited because that is less then he usually pays at the corner market. I also had a coupon for the S & W black beans with Jalapenos.
Now Cameron had the following coupons:
$.50 off 2 S & W beans
$1.00 off 3 Big Cup of Noodles
$.50 off Chef Boyardee (3 coupons)

We had divided the order up so he would pay for his sodas plus the Cup of Noodles. I gave him the coupon plus a Double Coupon. His total after coupons and bottle deposit was $2.08  ($.99 x 2 + $.10 deposit + $1.50 - $1.00 coupon - $.50 double coupon)
Our second half of the groceries I had intended on paying for with my debit card...  3 cans of Chef Boyardee and 2 cans of beans with coupons and double coupon total was $.97. I can't see having a retailer pay service fees on a transaction for $.97 so Cameron gave me a dollar...  Normally you are only suppose to get 1 double coupon per family per week but the cashier was nice and saw the lesson I was teaching Cameron (economics, math, etc...) and let us slide. If she hadn't it would have cost us $.49 more is all.

Since that shopping trip just a couple days ago, Cameron has been asking me more and more about what is in the coupon box.. I am so Thankful that he gets it and appreciates it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment