Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Math 911 to the rescue! #hsreviews #homeschool #highschool

Homeschool Curricula
I have a number of homeschool friends that one of their biggest concerns with homeschooling for the long haul is MATH. We all remember suffering through High School Math and never understanding when we would ever use Algebra again let alone Calculus or Trigonometry.  Well the time has come (actually this was more of a refresher course for me and my husband).  We decided to take a preemptive approach to teaching Math. In other words, Mommy will retake all the Math she has forgotten for High School and College over the next 2 or 3 years in her "spare" (insert hysterical laughter here) time, so when the boys are closer to jr. high age we can start Algebra and Geometry as formal subjects rather than just ideas mixed into their regular Math.

Not sure how I was going to accomplish this task, mostly for the fact I don't have a lot of spare time and the spare time I do have is spent doing things to add food stores to the pantry or create something fun and interesting for the boys' school, I was elated to find Math911.
I really couldn't have asked for more. This is such a complete program, I am actually thinking I will save it and use it with the boys when we reach that point. 
Math911 is NOT a gamers program, there are not flashy graphics, it is simple step by step instruction in Math. Professor Weissman's program works toward mastery, which is a key point with our homeschooling philosophy. The 'student', in this case Mom has to get a certain number of problems correct to prove that I understand the concept. I'll be honest hear, this was harder than I thought. It has been 16 years since I took a math class and that was Statistics. Algebra and Pre-Calculus were from High School 20 + years ago. 
I love that the website is simple like the program and has an email and phone number available for tech support. There are also free updates to the program that can be downloaded from the website. 
It gets even better! You can purchase this complete program for only $49.95 which includes ALL the Math subjects (Intro to Algebra, Intermiate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry,and  Pre-Calculus.  
As a busy Mom, I am so grateful for programs like this were I can take the classes I need so I can keep my boys at home and feel like they are getting the knowledge and skills they need. If I can do it, so can you and your kids.

Be sure to check out how the rest of the crew put this program to work for their schoolrooms. 
Photobucket

disclaimer: As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew I received a downloadable copy of this program for free in exchange for my review of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment